Monday, April 12, 2010

Potato-Sweet Potato Bake

I created this when I wanted to add more nutrition to mashed potatoes . . . and I didn't feel like making gravy. The rule of thumb I use is 2/3 russet potatoes, 1/3 sweet potatoes. Confession: I don't really like sweet potatoes. If you do, feel free to make the ration half and half, or maybe the whole darn thing.

I have also learned over the years to allot one potato per person when making mashed potatoes, especially if you have several things on the menu. (This has also served me well in planning for very large groups.) But you know your family. If they are potato fiends then you can adjust accordingly.



This recipe serves 6.

POTATO-SWEET POTATO BAKE

4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup light sour cream (I used Daisy brand)
1 T minced garlic (from the produce section--it comes in a jar)
2 stalks green onions, diced, green parts only
Salt and pepper to taste

************

Turn oven to 400 degrees. Bring a pot of salted water to boil; add quartered potatoes. Cook until tender. Drain water. Add butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix with a hand mixer on medium, until smooth and creamy. Stir in green onions and garlic. Transfer to a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Dot mixture with butter. Bake at 400 degrees until the top is brown (about 15 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment